Over the last couple of weeks, we have had the opportunity to attend many fantastic snowmobile related events in the region; gathering stock and really getting a feel for how important the sport is, not only for the tourism industry, but as a great source of income for these smaller communities.
“It’s great to see so much interest in snowmobiling. Even with a winter that didn’t see as much snow as usual, riders seemed to take full advantage of the snow levels that were presented. It’s also great to see Timmins present a full on snowmobile week. It’s a sport that’s been around for a long time. It’s in the north’s blood. And if anything, we owe it some tender love and care.”
– Jamie Dallaire
Recently, the City of Timmins declared March 7th to the 13th Snowmobile Week. For decades, snowmobile tourism operators and the hospitality industry have capitalized from long winters and the sport of snowmobiling. Tourism Timmins has positioned this area in various key markets as the ultimate destination for a snowmobile vacation and today, during the winter months, they play host to thousands of visitors who come here from Ontario, Quebec and the USA to enjoy what many take for granted… white gold.
A number of activities had been planned throughout the week, celebrating the importance of snowmobiling in Northeastern Ontario. We had the opportunity to attend some of these fantastic events:
- Monday, March 7: Snowmobile ride to Kamiskotia
- Wednesday, March 9: Rock & Ride to Timmins Rock game
- Thursday, March 10: Snowmobile to Cedar Meadows and experience the Wilderness Tour
- Friday, March 11: Visit Tourism Timmins for maps, coffee and hot chocolate!
- Saturday & Sunday, March 12-13: Eclipse Financial Snowcross Pro Challenge
- Saturday & Sunday, March 12-13: The Polaris Factory demo tours