ABOUT THE PROJECT
Northeastern Ontario has been a preferred destination for snowmobilers for years. Consistent snow, conducive temperatures, reliable grooming and warm hospitality have made it an annual pilgrimage for many riders within the OFSC provincial trail network. Regional snowmobile stakeholders came together in 2015, with the goal of becoming, and owning the title of the World’s Best Snowmobile Destination. After several meetings, a snowmobile summit and a learning mission, a World’s Best Snowmobile Destination plan was formulated.
Destination Northern Ontario, with funding support from FedNor, NOHFC and community partners, has now committed to a three-year project, designed to squeeze the throttle and implement the plan. Beginning during the winter of 2020, the way forward is being mapped, and the work is being undertaken with a plan that will require everyone’s high octane effort to reach the goal of becoming the World’s Best Snowmobile Destination.
The project begins by focussing on a pilot loop to serve as a best-in-class model for the region and by creating criteria to encourage operators to provide a world class experience for snowmobilers. This will ensure the rider experience is enhanced, and give snowmobile stakeholders the tools to focus on important details such as:
- Easily understandable, consistent signage and accessible staging areas
- Quality warm-up shacks and washrooms
- Memorable, high-quality customer service that exceeds expectations
- Enhanced connections from communities to trails
- Even better grooming consistency and quality
- Loops of various lengths and abilities
- Businesses that are recognized as snowmobile friendly
- A focus on creating a safe riding experience
Throughout the 3-year project process, stakeholders will be challenged to be even better. Options for improving infrastructure will be recommended and recognition will be provided for partners who are going the distance. Support will be offered by:
- Offering customer service training workshops
- Auditing, recommending and installing enhanced signage and wayfinding systems
- Determining how to enhance the on-trail experience even more
- Looking at staging and rider amenity enhancement
- Expanding the snowmobile story of the region and telling it to riders
- Determining how to be sustainable and creating a governance model
- Forward-looking snowmobile brand development
For more information on the World’s Best Snowmobile Destination Project, watch for updates on your social channels or contact one of the project team members.